Thursday, August 15, 2013

Book Review: "Coming Clean - A Memoir" by Kimberly Rae Miller


It is posts like these that I wish I didn't have a kindle and had real books with beautiful covers instead, but I guess I will have to deal with it!  I love my kindle because it's sleek, handy and I can take it anywhere with me!
 
Coming Clean is a memoir about hoarders.  Unlike the usual stories and TV shows on the hoarders themselves, this focuses on the little girl (who eventually grows up) living with her parents who are extreme hoarders.  I watch the show Hoarders on AE a lot and I find it fascinating how some people can live under piles and piles of filth.  Some episodes, I think they are disgusting and once in a while, I feel bad for them because I remind myself that hoarding is a type of disorder.  Anyway, what I liked about this book is the relationship between the author and her parents.  You can tell that they really loved each other despite the fact that they lived in shame and secrecy about the way they lived.  Every time she would describe how their house looked like, I would think about the show and imagine piles and piles of junk in every corner of the house.  I can't imagine people living like that on a day to day basis.  :(   
 
Anyway, this is a really good read and it's something different.  I recommend this to everyone!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment